New Year, New Semester, Not So New Me.

New Year

Every year, on December 31st at 11:59pm people surround themselves with the people they enjoy being around to "ring in the new year". With this comes ALL the New Years Resolutions: healthier life, lose weight, work on my relationships, get closer to God... the list goes on and on. 

How many resolutions have you made and stuck with? 


Just as you're thinking of your failures, I too, have fallen accustom to setting these same resolutions year after year; and year after year, I terribly fail, at them all. Even when I try to focus on just ONE for the coming year, I still FAIL. 

9 days into 2018, I haven't found my resolution yet.


 I have many that I would like to say I will be successful in, but this year, I will let my resolution show itself on December 31st, 2018 at 11:59pm. I have decided instead of setting myself up for failure once again, I will decide what I accomplished well in 2018 in the LAST minutes of 2018 instead of the FIRST seconds of 2018. I'm choosing victory, not failure in 2018. Anyone joining me in this?


Looking back at 2017, I've decided what I did well in that year: not worrying about being in the "In" crowd anymore, not trying to keeping up with everyone else's social life but worrying about my own. 

What was yours?


New Semester

Today, I finally got around to laying my schedule out for the semester ahead. I have dreaded this from the moment our professors emailed us the spread of classes for Spring 18'. It's going to be a busy one: with classes, various involvement, Kappa Delta obligations, trying to make money, and of course just living in the broken world we live in. 

I wouldn't have it any other way, though.


 Why? Because all the present BUILDS to my future. And quite honestly, when I make it through this semester, I will be well prepared for the big girl life coming my way soon. 

This semester, I want to be fully invested in my classes and the classrooms I find myself in. I don't want to take the easy road, or be "lukewarm" in my teaching. 

I will be present.

I decided going into 2018 to delete social media apps from my phone and focusing on being more present. I still have snapchat and Instagram, but I am making a conscience effort to leave my phone in my purse at the dinner table, and family functions. 

I found myself endlessly scrolling more and more


I would re-read what I had already seen, and became wrapped up in things that don't deserve my attention or my time. I have learned time is costly because you can never get that hour of endless scrolling or silently creeping back. So here's to focusing on being present.

Not So New Me

For the 3 of you reading this blog (shoutout to my followers), you're probably wondering why I lead into this final point with I will be present

In 2018, I don't plan to radically change into some new human that no one recognizes.


 In 2018 I am working on myself, bettering my already wonderful opportunities, being more involved, giving my full heart to everything I find myself involved in, instead of just a piece or just what's left after my long day. 

I recently read an article about how it's okay not to be involved in every opportunity you are presented with, but before you decide to take that leadership role, sign up for that club, or be on that committee:

YOU have to make a decision on HOW involved you're going to be.  


I find myself so often signing up for every opportunity that comes my way, because high school Destiny could do it all and not think twice about it. The difference is, you can be a member of the pep club and not go to every meeting, you can be class president and not have to organize much, you can be a just a member. It mostly works out well because the meetings are all orchestrated together, (during the school day) to work beautifully in your favor, and you never miss a beat.

In college, there's there's no master schedule or class time given for this stuff.


You might have a sorority meeting, committee meeting, and a Dance Big Red exec meeting all within a 3 hour span, and YOU have to figure out how to make all of them while still juggling homework in between. THIS is why i choose to be present in my involvement, because I have finally mastered the juggling act, while choosing where I want my time to go. 

Although I feel myself rambling on about this life, I am thankful to be living in it. Busyness is a sign of blessings pouring out. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wheels up in 8 D A Y S

Update from across the pond!

Quality over Quantity